Ohio State—Michigan State History Lesson And Trends
• Ohio State leads the all-time series vs. MSU, 27-13.
• Ohio State is 13-5 all-time vs. MSU in East Lansing.
• Ohio State is 70-24-4 all-time in B1G confer. openers.
• Ohio State has won 7 of the last 8 meetings with MSU.
• Urban Meyer coached teams are 38-4 overall in September.
• Meyer is 10-0 in conference openers in his coaching career.
• Meyer can become just the 3rd OSU coach to start 5-0 in his 1st year.
• Ohio State's defense has held opponents to 10 points or less 37 times since 2006.
• Ohio State's defense has allowed only 10 100-yard rushers in their last 53 games.
• Ohio State has held 70 opponents to 21 points or less since the start of the 2005 season.
• Ohio State is 19-10 in games that ESPN's College Gameday originates from—Michigan State is just 2-3.
• Michigan State last beat ohio State in back-to-back seasons in 1998/1999.
• Michigan State is just 7-14 under coach Mark Dantonio against Top 25 opponents.
• Under coach Dantonio (2007-2011), Michigan State is 27-14 vs. Big Ten conference opponents.
Final Thoughts and Score Prediction
Everyone is expecting a defensive battle and a low-scoring game, much like the meeting in Columbus last year.
I won't be surprised a bit if that is exactly what happens, but I also won't be shocked if the opposite occurs, as both teams are capable of wearing down a defense and punching it into the endzone.
The key for Ohio State on defense is obviously to play man-to-man on the outside and load up the box in hopes of containing MSU star-tailback, Le'Veon Bell.
On offense, they must have balance between the passing and running game, and QB Braxton Miller is going to have to make plays with his legs to help open up the passing game. Jordan Hall, Corey Brown, Jake Stoneburner and Devin Smith all need to step up for Miller today.
Ohio State has owned Michigan State overall and in East Lansing, and the Spartans never seem to perform well in national spotlight games, so for those reasons, I'm going with the Buckeyes in a closely-contested, relatively low-scoring battle.
Ohio State 27
Michigan State 20
"To be a champion, you have to believe in yourself when no one else will" - Sugar Ray Robinson