Embattled Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel confirmed today that he has never considered resigning or stepping down, and that he would not do so unless he believed the University and his players would be better off.
Don't mistake that to mean, however, that he still can't be forced to resign or be fired; it is still a possibility once the NCAA finishes their investigation.
Now with that out of the way, please take a look at my latest offering if you would be so kind. I think you will find it most interesting...
Here's the rundown of our beloved Buckeye coach
- Was born in a small Ohio town.
- Coached and compiled a fine record at small colleges in Ohio before becoming head football coach at the Ohio State University.
- Is among the most respected and recognized college football coaches in the country.
- As coach of Ohio State, compiled an unprecedented winning record against football teams from the University of Michigan.
- After leading Ohio State to a national championship, led a 10-year run of tremendous success marked by appearances in major bowl games in 8 out of the 10 years.
- Coached Ohio State to 6 consecutive Big Ten Championships in those 10 years.
- During that decade, his teams nearly won several other national championships, falling just short by one game on several occasions.
- In that span, his Ohio State teams twice lost major bowl games that would have completed undisputed national championship seasons.
- Universally loved by Ohio State fans everywhere.
- Recognized for his off-the-field contributions to Ohio State and central Ohio as much as for his football record.
- Nine years after winning a national championship, committed a serious conduct violation.
- Despite never losing the adoration of the Buckeye Nation, that violation led to his firing, and he never coached another football game at Ohio State or anywhere else.
Despite the intentionally misleading image at the top right of this article, you may or may not have figured out by now that the coach this article is about is the one-and-only, Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes, NOT Jim Tressel.
But, everything Hayes did, Tressel also has done exactly to the mark, except for the getting fired part—well, so far at least.
You know how they say history repeats itself?
Special thanks to TheShoe78 for his post on the Ohio State/Scout.com "Hineygate" Football Forum, which included all of this info.
Click For The Block Nation Front Page