Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ohio State QB Kenny Guiton Goes "Around The Block" With Block-O-Nation



One of the biggest questions facing Oho State as the 2010 season approaches is what happens to the team, and the season, should Terrelle Pryor get hurt?

Who, if anyone, could step in and take over for him, and would they be able to lead the team in his stead until his return, or would all hopes of another conference championship and possible BCS title run be lost?

Well, if you didn't watch the 2010 Scarlet and Gray game, and/or didn't see any highlights from the game, you may just have missed the answer to that very question.

Enter Kenny Guiton.

The redshirt freshmen from Houston was the last player to join the 2009 recruiting class, after Buckeye targets Tajh Boyd and Kevin Newsome instead signed to play at Clemson and Penn State respectively.

In front of more than 65,000 fans in The Horseshoe, Guiton lead the Gray team to a 17-10 win over the Scarlet team in the final seconds. He completed 11-of-21 passes for 167 yards and two scores, both to Taurian Washington.

In the Clemson Orange and White game this Spring, Boyd went 8-for-25, passing for 132 yards. He struggled to read the defense at times, repeatedly throwing into double and triple coverage.

In the Penn State Blue and White game, Newsome was 5-for-12 for 50 yards and was sacked three times. It was assumed that Newsome would take over for the departed Daryll Clark, but after his Spring game performance, the door is still open for Matt McGloin, Paul Jones and Robert Bolden.

Although it is still early in the careers of Guiton, Boyd, and Newsome, it seems to me Boyd and Newsome going elsewhere may have been a blessing in disguise for the Buckeyes.

I recently caught up with the Buckeye Spring game standout for this, the latest edition of my interview series, "Around the Block".

Q: Kenny, you played very well this Spring in the Scarlet and Gray game and Buckeye fans took notice that you appear very capable of stepping in if Terrelle should miss any time. So, ease our minds—How's the ankle/lower leg doing?

A: Thanks a lot, that is good to know. The leg is doing great. I'm not feeling any pain at all. We have great trainers which helped me out a lot and I am feeling great.

Q: What is your favorite kind of music, and who is your favorite artist(s) or band(s)?

A: Rap is my favorite genre and my favorite rapper is Lil Wayne.

Q: What is your favorite NFL team? Who is your favorite NFL player of all-time?

A: My favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys and favorite player is Vince Young.

Q: Being from Texas, what college team were you a fan of before coming to Ohio State?

A: I was always a UT fan (University of Texas). I grew up watching Vince Young and he was always my favorite player so I loved UT.

Q: Before Ohio State offered you your scholarship last year, were they even on your radar, and did you know you were on theirs?

A: No not at all, I didn't know much about Ohio State at all. I didn't have them on my radar and had no idea that I would end up on their radar.

Q: Did your family move up here with you or did they stay in Texas? Do they come to the games?

A: My family stayed in Texas. They come up whenever they get a chance to watch various games. They were in attendance for the spring game which brought me great joy.

Q: What is your Win/Loss record as a starting QB from your H.S. days?

A: This is a hard one, I believe in high school on the varsity level my record was 18-10.

Q: What are you majoring in?

A: I am undecided right now. Looking to go into some type of business such as finance or accounting.

Q: What are you personal goals for this coming season?

A: My personal goals are to keep competing for the second string spot and if something happens where I have to play, I want to be able to lead this team to big accomplishments.

Q: Are there any current or former NFL QB's that you have been compared to by other people, or that you feel like you compare with?

A: I have been compared to Dennis Dixon a lot. His build and the way he plays.

Q: Which game or games are you most looking forward to this season?

A: I am looking forward to Miami, traveling to Wisconsin and Iowa, and I always look forward to playing that team up north.

Q: Do you ever visit any of the numerous Ohio State message boards or blogs on the Internet to see what fans are saying or do you try to avoid them? If you do, which one(s)?

A: No I don't look at those things at all.

Q: Lastly, is there anything you'd like to say about the upcoming season in your own words directly to OSU fans and the readers of Block-O-Nation?

A: I would like to say I will keep working hard to be the best quarterback that I can be and I hope everything works out because I feel I can be the ultimate QB on and off the field.

I want to thank Kenny Guiton again for taking time out of his schedule to spend a few minutes allowing the fans of Buckeye Nation and the readers of Block-O-Nation to get to know a little more about him, on and off the field.

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we look forward to seeing his collegiate career unfold in the coming years and wish him all the best!


This Block-O-Nation Ohio State Football

article is also Featured on



Click For The Block Nation Front Page


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you really like or really hate one of our articles?

Do you agree or absolutely disagree with something you've read here?

WE WANT TO KNOW SO PLEASE ADD YOUR COMMENTS!

You can post anonymously or add your name if you like.

Either way, registration is NOT required!

BlockONation's Expanding Web Presence

6/05/2009

Numerous BlockONation articles have been posted on or linked to from some very well known, high-volume sports websites.

We'd like to take a moment to both acknowledge and thank those sites for their support in helping make BlockONation one of the most popular new Ohio State Football blogs on the web!

In no particular order:

CBSSports.com

FOXSports.com

BuckeyeExtra.com

BleacherReport.com

SportsTimeOhio.com

TheClevelandFan.com


Again, thanks so very much to those sites for all their support and also, a huge thank you to the fans who have visited the site to date!

I'd also like to personally thank all those individuals who have contributed to the success of the site! I wouldn't be here without your help over the last 8+ years. You all know who you are!

It is our mission here at BlockONation.com to continue to provide top-notch, fresh content for our readers and we will always do everything possible to meet your expectations!

Honestly, I really can't thank you all enough....

HD Handshoe
Founder
BlockONation.com



Thanks for visiting BlockONation
 
Copyright © 2004-2012 BlockONation.com. All rights reserved. Site powered by Blogger. Site design and layout by HD Handshoe. This web site is not affiliated with or endorsed by The Ohio State University. Logos, helmet and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. Some photos on this site courtesy of the Associated Press, The-Ozone.net and Getty Images under the Fair Use Doctrine (Sections 107-118) of the 1976 Copyright Act.