Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dear SEC-Loving, Big Ten-Hating Media—The Big Ten Is Back!

by HD Handshoe
Founder
BlockONation.com



For the past four years or so of college football, the media (cough, Espn, cough) has fallen in love with the SEC, anointing it the "best and toughest conference, top to bottom" in the nation.

I will just say that yes, they have had some great teams during that span like Auburn in 2004, LSU in 2005 and 2007 and Florida in 2006 and 2008.

What I can't help but wonder though is how does having three or four solid teams, maybe another two or three average teams, and five or six below average teams qualify the SEC as the best?

Every year, I think all of the BCS conferences have a few good teams at the top, followed by a handful of not-so-good teams bringing up the rear.

Just as the media has hyped the SEC as the greatest thing since bottled water, they have piled on the Big Ten as outdated, slow and weak.

Call me crazy, but to me, a conference that is "good top to bottom" is one where it's competitive and wide open.

Look at the SEC heading into 2009, especially the East. The Gators can put it on cruise control all year.

Honestly, I can't find one team that will challenge Florida until the SEC Championship game and even then, while the SEC West will be slightly more competitive within, I'm not convinced Alabama, Ole Miss or LSU combined can measure up to UF.

Meyer, Tebow and company will face little
or no resistance from the SEC in 2009.



The UF OOC schedule is downright pathetic too, so a 12-0 regular season is practically a lock for the Gators.

To those who will be quick to lash out at me and/or more likely my Buckeyes after that statement, I'm not saying OSU's overall OOC schedule is the toughest in the nation, but the Bucks are playing Southern Cal for the second straight season.

Whose UF got again? If you decide to attack me for that one (Carson, etc), would you mind posting their OOC schedule for me in your response? Thanks!

OK, now that I got that rant out of my system (LOL) back to the topic at hand.

The Big Ten will be very competitive in 2009. That being said, I do understand why the recent perception of the Big Ten came about but, the tide is turning, starting in 2009!

Here are each teams overall and conference W/L records from 2008.



Penn State (11-2, 7-1)

Ohio State (10-3, 7-1)

Michigan State (9-4, 6-2)

Northwestern (9-4, 5-3)

Illinois (5-7, 3-5)

Michigan (3-9, 2-6)

Iowa (9-4, 5-3)

Wisconsin (7-6, 3-5)

=================

Minnesota (7-6, 3-5)

Indiana (3-9, 1-7)

Purdue (4-8, 2-6)



The teams are not listed according to the 2008 standings, but rather I have them listed based on how I expect they will do in 2009.

In my opinion, every team above the line is capable of winning at least six or more games in conference play. Of course, all of them won't, but some of them absolutely will.

The Big Ten is back and will be a very tight and competitive race in 2009!

I know the media and fans of teams from other conferences (especially the SEC) may disagree with me right now and that's fine and to be expected.

But come November though, I'll be the one flexing my muscles while saying I told them so!

This article is currently featured on


CLICK HERE to return to the Blog.BlockONation.com Front Page

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this article but I will start by saying that I am an SEC homer and a huge Alabama fan. I do respect the Big 10 but the past few years have proven that the SEC is the most competitive conference top to bottom. OSU playing USC two years straight is very admirable. Last year OSU did not even show up against USC and I can't stand USC because the PAC 10 is a weaker conference than the Big 10. The SEC has one major game that the Big 10 dose not and that is the SEC Championship Game. Hopefully Florida will have a re-match against Alabama, but to successfully win all 12 games in the regular season and then play in the SEC Championship is a major accomplishment. I would love to see a Big 10 Championship Game, I am an avid college football fan and respect and admire the proud tradition Ohio State has. I wish OSU was in the SEC and one day I will see one of the most recognized venues in college football "the horse shoe." I wish the OSU nation the best of luck in '09 and enjoyed seeing y'all replicate BAMA by having such a large turnout for your Spring Game.

    Roll Tide Roll!-SEC Homer

    ReplyDelete

Do you really like or really hate one of our articles?

Do you agree or absolutely disagree with something you've read here?

WE WANT TO KNOW SO PLEASE ADD YOUR COMMENTS!

You can post anonymously or add your name if you like.

Either way, registration is NOT required!

BlockONation's Expanding Web Presence

6/05/2009

Numerous BlockONation articles have been posted on or linked to from some very well known, high-volume sports websites.

We'd like to take a moment to both acknowledge and thank those sites for their support in helping make BlockONation one of the most popular new Ohio State Football blogs on the web!

In no particular order:

CBSSports.com

FOXSports.com

BuckeyeExtra.com

BleacherReport.com

SportsTimeOhio.com

TheClevelandFan.com


Again, thanks so very much to those sites for all their support and also, a huge thank you to the fans who have visited the site to date!

I'd also like to personally thank all those individuals who have contributed to the success of the site! I wouldn't be here without your help over the last 8+ years. You all know who you are!

It is our mission here at BlockONation.com to continue to provide top-notch, fresh content for our readers and we will always do everything possible to meet your expectations!

Honestly, I really can't thank you all enough....

HD Handshoe
Founder
BlockONation.com



Thanks for visiting BlockONation
 
Copyright © 2004-2012 BlockONation.com. All rights reserved. Site powered by Blogger. Site design and layout by HD Handshoe. This web site is not affiliated with or endorsed by The Ohio State University. Logos, helmet and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. Some photos on this site courtesy of the Associated Press, The-Ozone.net and Getty Images under the Fair Use Doctrine (Sections 107-118) of the 1976 Copyright Act.